Friday, May 15, 2009

JESTER'S MASK


The jester didn't enjoy wearing the mask that kept him smiling all night. If anything, he hated it. But there was a show and to please the king he knew he needed it.



Three O'clock on the dot. The drizzle did little to cool the humid air. I bursted out of the car which was haphazardly parked by the bend. It'd probably make the narrow corner more difficult to tackle but I didn't care. My brown leathers didn't offer much comfort on the two block sprint. I dashed across the intersection, paying little attention to the water licking the edge of my slacks, blocking the in coming traffic with my clipboard to a halt. I wasn't going to be late.

"You've got to be kidding me!"

"I know, right? And I was even here by 1:30."

The line to the department's office on the 5th had made it to the stairs and stretched clear through the 4th floor hall. The place buzzed with all the people there, some needing papers to be signed and others needing a slot schedule for make-ups, myself included. It's been a month since I was here talking to the officer-in-charge regarding my concern.

"You're in luck sir. Someone backed out and a slot is free for 2 days."

"Great! I'll take it. No matter what day, sign me up."

Some people just seem to find meaning in their role to make life difficult to live. I'm sure just about everyone has met one or another. Apparently, encoutering THE MAN isn't as rare as the occasions you get to "stick it" to him.

"You can't give that slot to him. Someone just called and took that slot. I'm sorry doctor, all slots for this month and the next have been filled. The next opening would be 2 months from now and scheduling for those slots will be open on the 3rd week of next month."

"Is that so? Ok then, may I have the office number so that I can call you every now and then to check if someone backed out of their slot?

"Of course not sir, you have to come back here and line up for scheduling just like everyone else."

She posted a smug look and a sly grin as she observed the reaction I had after what she just said.

"You just said that someone called to take slots a while ago. You must have a happy proctologist cause right now, you're being a bit of an ass."

Was what I should've said. But instead, I have ok'ed into an unreasonably long wait and a potential danger to delaying the start of my medical internship. And so, there I was, during the 3rd week of May, standing yet again in an unbareably long line.

An hour later, I managed to inch my way up the 5th floor with some of the people in line giving up on the wait. Tuesday's and Friday's - 3:15pm to 4:00pm. It was unreasonable considering that we had to break away from wherever we were on duty, on office hours at that, to make it. But everyone in cue on that line had made that sacrifice to take care of their business.

The door moved and creaked open.

"Finally!"

The hall moaned with sighs of relief which resounded just that. THE MAN, peeped out.

"Oh my! What a long line!"

It sounded like she had practiced saying that a couple of times before she actually did. She was clad in her trademark hyena-grin too. It was well past 4pm.

"Well, our office still couldn't entertain you as of the moment and I just wanted to inform you that all those needing signatures couldn't be entertained today cause the dean isn't here. All those who came for slots for make-ups should know that we decided to move the scheduling last week and we have filled the slots for next month. You can come back on Friday to see if anyone has backed out of their slot."

One by one the people left, clearly dismayed. And they have every right to be. It was unprofessional and downright inconsiderate. But nothing could be done.

"You should be proud to be the biggest smart-ass around, cause that's the only smart you'll ever be you crazy witch! I have been through so many things and overcame so many trials to become a doctor, we all have. And you have got to be out of your mind to think that I am going to remain here watching idly as you make a mockery out of who we are and what we have dreamed for so long to be! Now, go in that office and get the dean on the phone cause I want to talk to him!"

Fantastic! Only, I said that in my mind as I was staring hopelessly at that demented hag. I was infuriated. Just about ready to explode. Yet, in the back of my mind a little voice was telling me to hold it and just keep it together. I listened to that whisper which second after second grew louder and louder. The familiar voice of reason. I knew that vexing THE MAN would lengthen the red tape by a mile and then I could've never gotten the job done.

"Friday it is. But the rainy season has arrived and you better not get sick - EVER."

I said to myself as the elevator doors headed ground floor closed shut.

4 comments:

  1. Okay.. I've successfully gone through this and that and I'm good to post...

    I've been dying to say this since entry one that it is true that blogging cures...

    Your entries are great and the freaking hag gives justice to her essence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks purplish. I'm glad you like my entries. Blogging has been ok so far. It's pretty great to have people like you sharing my thoughts. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How Kafka. You rush and fall in a slow-moving line only to be greeted by suck

    ReplyDelete